Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Sad Day At The Coffee Shop

About 4 months ago someone dropped off 3 kittens by our home and they were starving and wild as march hares.

Candle lady is a sucker for the hard luck cases , so she started feeding them and watching from a distance . We currently have 7 cats by the way , so as you can tell we have Lot's of strays come up.

It took about a month of feeding and sitting closer and closer before two of the three would stay put . The third one , a solid grey is still to timid to be touched.

One was a solid black long hair male and the other a calico female.

After the first month or so the Black long hair ( she named Bagerra from Disney movie ) he just one day jumped in her lap and started cuddling her. Of course the calico wasn't far behind.

She took them and had shots done and "fixed" to help cut down on more cats . We have enjoyed the " lil " fella playing on the deck and chasing the "acorns" that fall from our tree.

The black long hair was her favorite by far and she spent allot of time with him . He had personality and was quite the handsome fella.

This brings me to why I'm posting . Last night he was apparently out and was where he shouldn't have been . In the dark I'm sure its hard to see a black cat and the car won. Fortunately he didn't suffer at all. It was quick.

I have a very heartbroken candle lady and short legs today . Of course its always the "favorite" that gets in harms way it seems.

So today is a hard day here . She still has two that she has saved and I have told her to focus on them . And , not to make light of it, there will be more strays and we will save and lose more I'm sure.

I guess i just don't get how people can dump animals and let them starve . Even with the occasional loss of a pet , the joy that comes of spending time and watching them grow and play is worth the risk.

So I guess , My hats off to lil Bagerra today . He will be sorely missed.

Even by the gruff old CoffeeMan .

5 comments:

Karen Deborah said...

awh I'm so sorry. We already know you aren't gruff your jig is up. Tell your sweet wife we will be praying for her sorrow today.

WudWerkr said...

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I have a rep to keep up here and you gonna blow it !!

Anonymous said...

You are a good man coffee man. Bagerra is playing in heaven.

Heidi said...

OH short legs and Candle lady - I am so sorry.... Coffeeman - hug them both for me would you! Love you all...

Karen Deborah said...

I should have known that you would call your uh hum, underwear.. drawers! Ha ha