Sunday, June 17, 2007

We Live In A " Throw Away " Society

We live in a world today that is very much a "THROW AWAY" Society. People don't seem to have , or place, value in things like they used to. Oh they do place value in HAVING things , but it does not seem that they place value in the things they have.

For Example , The world of commerce would have us think that something is of no value now because the "NEWER VERSION " is now available. If you purchase a computer , within 6 months , it is obsolete. Does not matter whether it still works perfectly or not !

How many times have you purchased the " NEWER / BETTER " computer program only to find out it isn't half what the old one was , or doesn't seem to work right ? But Hey !!!! I got the NEW one !

A new car , why does it seem to be the idea that we HAVE to have the new Car, Just because the new line has come out ? The old one works just fine.....

And I have seen the Commercials that are focused at our children, If I were so inclined , I would be purchasing the " Newest / Better " sports shoes for my kids every other week !

But if you tell people That those things are not a priority in your life they think you are nuts ... as though "Having the Newest " Things are what its all about !

Now we come to the Reason for this post ... I was recently accosted by a Movie / Show Promotion that has taken " THROW AWAY " to the ultimate level .

The Movie / Show is
** THE STARTER WIFE **

And I am sure people are going to say , its a comedy, or it isn't real , or some mundane thing like that. But as far as I am concerned , it is EXACTLY part of what is wrong in society today. Why would I want to be entertained by this idea ? We have come to the point in our culture that now " MARRIAGE " is a throw away ?

Now I do not wish to belittle the efforts of the cast of that movie, nor am I saying people should avoid it. What I am saying is the very premise of that , is part of the underlying problem we see in the world today. Well over HALF of Marriages end in Divorce. This is a cold hard fact. And Yet we are allowing ourselves to be ........Wait ...... We are going to the Theaters and PAYING a lot of money to be entertained by these ideas.
If this is true then I really am concerned about the direction that we are headed as a society.

You may not like my opinion, But I don't Care !! Its my sandbox and I'll Pee in it if I want to !!

No comments: